No products in the cart.
Self Bailing Floor
Customize your Alpaca, Yak, Llama, Mule or Fjord Explorer with a self bailing floor system. System includes a two piece removable floor and attachment points for a backband and 4-point thigh straps. Not approved for use with third party thigh straps.
Alpacka backband and thigh strap kits (sold separately) are available now. Please contact us to purchase.
Self Bailing Floor – Easy Entry and Exit, Whitewater Handling, Warm Climates:
New for 2016, our original Alpacka Raft series (the Alpaca, Yak, Llama, Mule) and the Fjord Explorer can be modified with a self-bailing floor instead of a spray deck. Our unique self bailing system is designed to optimize the balance between lightweight and durability that is essential to a high performance packraft, and features:
- A durable lightweight nylon sleeve attached to the floor beginning just behind the foot area, which protects the inflatable self-bailing floor insert from wear and tear.
- A tapered inflatable pillow inserted into the sleeve and inflated to lock in place.
- A smaller inflatable pillow attached to the foot area, allowing your heels to sit below your butt for optimal paddling position and comfort. This is also the highest wear area in the boat. By separating the foot pillow from the main inflatable floor, the self bailing feature will remain intact if the foot pillow is damaged from wear and tear, and repair/replacement costs are minimized. NOTE – The Fjord Explorer utilizes a full length self bailing pillow.
- Drain holes are placed along either side of the inflatable floor.
- Backband and 4-point thigh strap ready (except Fjord Explorer) – Alpacka backband and thigh strap kits (sold separately) are available now. Please contact us to purchase.
- Weight: Adds ~6-8oz. to the base boat weight (not including backband and thigh straps).
Benefits of the self bailer are improved handling crossing eddylines and surfing holes, quicker entry and exit for scouting and portaging, and keeping cool in warm climates. However, the self-bailer has a slightly deeper draft and is the wettest and most exposed configuration. Keep this in mind in if you plan to use the boat in cold climates, especially long days on shallow arctic rivers. The self bailer offers better performance than the Whitewater Spray Deck when the boat is unloaded (i.e. day trips or lightweight overnights) due to the extra ballast of the water in the floor system, but the Whitewater Spray Deck offers better performance when the boat is fully loaded for a longer backcountry trip.
|Dimensions||1 x 1 x 1 in|
|Which boat are we adding this to?||
Alpaca, Yak, Llama, Mule, Fjord Explorer